Andrew’s vast experience and technical knowledge in dealing with a wide range of legal problems that people face in their daily lives adds huge depth to the work of our Civil Litigation department.
Andrew has particular skills in dealing with subjects such as:
- Disputed Wills and Estates
- Court of Protection cases in both Property & Finances and Health & Welfare jurisdictions
- Property disputes – including ownership, boundaries and rights of way
- Residential landlord and tenant claims
Before joining us in 2018, Andrew worked in law firms in London, Ipswich and Norwich. He read law at the University of Hull, graduating in 2003 with an LL.B (Hons). He was called to the Bar in 2004 and cross-qualified as a solicitor in August 2010.
Andrew is a member of a number of influential legal organisations, exchanging experience and know-how on complex areas of law, including:
- The Association of Contentious Trust & Probate Specialists (ACTAPS) – Andrew was the first solicitor in Walsall to be admitted as an associated member after successfully completing a three-year training course
- The Property Litigation Association – for professionals specialising in all aspects of commercial and residential property disputes, including inheritance issues
- The Honourable Society of Grays Inn – the organisation responsible for educating and training barristers in England and Wales
Skills and attributes:
Andrew has specialised in Litigation for his entire career and is recognised for his calm, empathetic and measured approach to cases, many of which can have emotive and complex issues. He carefully considers the ‘big picture’ around each client’s needs and the possible outcomes. He also favours the use of mediation wherever possible.
His work has included:
- Challenging the validity of a Will before the court
- Advising the executors of a multi-million-pound estate
- Securing an inheritance payment for beneficiaries in an estate that was not being lawfully administered
- Successfully removing an executor who had failed to distribute an estate in accordance with the will
- Defending an injunction involving rights of way over land and associated damages claims
- Resolving a long-running boundary dispute
“I remember a case concerning an inheritance dispute over some fields, which went to a four-day trial after years of wrangling. It was hugely fraught, with my elderly client being cross-examined but in the end she won – the fields were held to be bequeathed to her in the will and the people using the land were ordered off for trespassing. I’ll never forget her tearfully squeezing my hand when I told her the judge was coming down on her side.”
Andrew is the proud father of a beautiful daughter and enjoys spending time with his family. He is a player-coach at Tamworth Hockey Club and also enjoys walking, climbing and other outdoor activities. He also confesses to being a long-suffering Ipswich Town FC fan.