We are a full service law firm with offices in Walsall with over 30 lawyers and in excess of 80 members of staff. The central location allows us to serve an extensive cross-section of clients throughout the UK, we do this through many dedicated specialist departments. Although the firm is well established with historical links, Enoch Evans is very much a 21st Century firm that invests heavily in new systems and technology to ensure steady expansion and innovation.
Staff at Enoch Evans LLP are highly trained and qualified to ensure that clients are provided with the uppermost level of service available. As a testament to this Enoch Evans LLP were the first Solicitors in the West Midlands to receive the “Investors in People” award. Please click here to view staff profiles.
History of Enoch Evans
Enoch Evans was born in 1859 in Stafford Street, Walsall, and died in 1937.
Enoch was a well-respected citizen of Walsall who contributed a great deal not only to the legal profession within the town, but also to its civic life; with Enoch becoming Mayor of Walsall in 1921.
The Law Society has confirmed that Enoch Evans practised as a Solicitor from 1884. Walsall, at this time, had 35 Solicitors according to the law list. Ten years later the number had risen to 36 and by 1965 there were over 80.
Enoch had six children, two of which went on to become Solicitors. John Dawe Evans (left), born 1891 qualified in 1913 and became a partner of the firm immediately. Norman Harrison Evans (right) born in 1902 and educated at Queen Mary’s Grammar School, Walsall, qualified in 1925 and also went into partnership.
Dundrennan House was situated on the Wednesbury Road at the Junction of Corporation Street, it was here that Enoch lived between 1888 and 1937. After Enoch’s death, the house was sold and used as a Nurses home for the staff at Walsall General Hospital.
Enoch’s first offices were at No.6 Bridge Street, Walsall. Next door (No. 4) was used for Walsall’s first cottage hospital from 1863 to 1868, and is where Sister Dora first started her work.
The late 1880s saw the firm move across the road to Oriel Chambers, the offices still remain today with “Oriel Chambers” being inscribed in the fan light of No.11 Bridge Street.
At this time heating would have been by coal fire, light would have been by gas, oil or candle, every deed and letter was handwritten – these would be placed in a hand press and wet copies made… no photocopiers or scanners in those days.