Residential Care – Who Pays? banner

Residential Care – Who Pays?

Home / Articles / Residential Care – Who Pays?

Residential Care – Who Pays?

  • Posted on

Piggy Bank

Through the latter half of the 20th Century, the UK population has been steadily getting older and this trend is projected to continue in the future. A large number of people are likely to move into care in during the latter part of their life but who pays?

Paying for residential care in a care home can be expensive; however there are circumstances where assistance may be available to meet the cost of care. The rules can often be complicated and difficult to find your way through and you may be eligible for financial assistance from your local council or in some circumstances, from the NHS.

In certain circumstances, the local authority or council may pay for your care home fees. If you are eligible for funding support, they will pay some or most of the care fees. Your local authority will need to conduct a means assessment which includes a financial assessment, which looks at your income and savings. This means test will assess whether you can afford to pay for your own care or whether you are eligible for financial help from the local authority.

Care home fees often vary depending on the area you live in, the individual care home itself, plus your own personal financial circumstances. The cost of staying in a care can range from £600.00 to £1,500.00 per week for a place in a nursing home. It is therefore very important to get any support that may be available to meet this.

In addition to the above and potential support form the Local Authority, if your health care need is also significant; the NHS may contribute something towards the cost of your care. Furthermore, if you are eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare Funding, your care home placement will be completely free of charge.

The rules on what financial support is available to someone moving into care and the circumstances which should be taken into account are complex. The Administration of Finances Team at Enoch Evans LLP has a wealth of experience in this area and is happy to assist in looking at what someone should be paying for their care. Should you wish to discuss the issues raised in this piece with a member of our specialised team, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us on 01922 720333 for our Walsall Office of 0121 355 2336 for our Sutton Coldfield office.

    Get in touch

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.